Getting Started with your brand new TRAMS Arduino Mega RepRap Shield
You just got your brand new TRAMS TRINAMIC Arduino Mega RepRap Shield?
Great! Here is how you get started:
Step 1: Software
You will need the following Software:
- The Arduino IDE (we used version 1.6.1)
- The TRAMS Firmware Github
- The Repetier-Host software (we used version 1.0.6)
Step 2: Installation
Install the Arduino IDE and the Arduino USB driver as shown in the official Arduino guide.
Step 3: Upload Firmware
- Connect the Arduino Mega without the TRAMS with the computer.
- Open the “Marlin.ino” from the firmware folder with the Arduino IDE.
- Select the Arduino Mega board and the correct USB port in the IDE and upload the firmware.
- To test if the firmware was uploaded properly start Repetier-Host and press Strg+p.
- Now choose your USB port and set the baud rate to 56000.
- Click on “Connect”. You should now see a similar text in the log window below:
Step 4: Wiring up your 3D Printer
- Unplug the Arduino from the USB port. It should not be connected to anything right now. Then plug the TRAMS on the Arduino.
- Make sure that the main power (VM) and the heat bed power (V_HEATBEAD) are NOT connected to a power supply! You can damage the board if you connect/disconnect parts (e.g. motors) while under power.
- Connect the motors to the corresponding connector.
- Connect the end stops for the X-, Y- and Z-Axis. The Extruder normally doesn’t need an end stop.
- Connect the extruder thermistor to THERM_0 and the heatbed thermistor to THERM_1. (We used 100k thermistors for testing).
- Connect the extruder heating cartridge to the EXT_0 connector.
- If you have a controlled fan for cooling the printed filament you can connect it to the FAN connector. Watch out for the right polarity.
- If you have a fan or lights which needs to be powered all the time you can connect them to the two VM ports.
- If you have a heatbed connect it to the HEATBED port.
Step 5: Powering Up
- Make sure that both fuses are working properly.
- Connect VM to 12-24V.
- If you have a heatbed you need to connect V_HEATBED to 12-24V, as well.
- Connect the Arduino with the computer.
Step 6: Start your print
- Start Repetier-Host and click on “Connect”.
- Click the home button.
- If your printer starts the homing as expected, you are ready to print now.
September 2, 2015 / Jonas P. Proeger / 10